Skip to main content

Shoveling. Snow. Saints!

The last eight days have truly been the stuff of legends!  First, the snow on Friday! 

As many of you know, I was born and raised in Alexandria, VA.  Aside from the four years that I served in the Army, I've spent roughly 32 years of my life in the familiar surroundings of traffic, traffic and more traffic.  That being said, I have NEVER EVER seen anything like this.  One could make the argument that there was the blizzard of '96...but I was still in Georgia at the time so technically, this is a first for me. 

I gotta say, I love snow.  Not the shoveling, but the sound of snow falling; so quiet, so serene.  Truly a thing a beauty...and the fact that I missed several days of work because of it doesn't hurt.  I also didn't miss the fact that we lost approximately 20 hours of power in the first 48 hours of said snow storm.  Honestly, I didn't mind it so much.  We lost power at 10PM which conveniently became bed time!  You'd be amazed at how tired you suddenly feel when there's no power.  The only thing that sucked was the lack of heat.  I did what I could with sweats and extra blankets but nothing beats central heating. 

Clearly, that last sentence was the most obvious statement in this entire entry.  I am a genius.

Anywho, we regained power at 5AM only to lose it again 6 hours later.  Meanwhile, the snow was piling on and I couldn't have been happier; my roommates and I had already completed our shopping and I was going to be snowed in for the Super Bowl.  I can't explain it but being snowed in for the Super Bowl with nothing to do but eat chips & guac, watch funny commercials and cheer on the Saints made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  And, I still had that feeling until the following day when the snow stopped and my roommate and I had to shovel out the driveway!  Woo-Hoo.  Still got the chips & guac.  Still got the funny commercials.  Still got to cheer on the Saints.  Just me, my roommates and my good buddy, Ben Gay. 

Along with the Saints beating the Colts and the sh*t ton of the snow that fell from the sky, the Federal Government decided that there was enough snow on the ground to shut down.  Which was AWESOME, 'cause Ben Gay and I needed a few more days to get to know each other.

Then the new snow fell, causing the Federal Government to close 'til Friday.  Why not go for a full week one might ask?  Well, that would make too much sense for starters. 

DC was a mess on Friday, it took me over 2 and a half hours to get to work.  Leaving work was even worse.  A co-worker and I ended up successfully finding a vacant spot on the train (someone must've yawned and created a tiny pocket of space for us to fit in to), getting off at National Airport and then taking a cab home.  All and all, anytime a fella can spend over a week inside, enjoying the sight of his neighborhood covered in snow, from the comfort of his own bedroom while sipping on marshmallow'd hot cocoa libations, is time well spent.

Ciao.


Oh, PS--Happy VD!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine

Comments

OK, I think this might be my favorite entry you've made ^_^ Last week was pretty awesome and you've pretty much perfectly captured the whole thing.

I am surprised though that you guys were out of power so much longer than The Keeper and I. We woke up Saturday and had no power. We think it went out around 7am, but we're not sure. And it came back on around 3 or 4 I think. Aside from a couple 5 minute outages the night before that was the only time we lost power. Oh, and cold wasn't a problem because (a) all the heat from the 7 floors below us ends up drifting up to us, and (b) we have gas, so even if the actual heater didn't work due to some electrical components we could have fired up the stove and camped out in the kitchen.

Popular posts from this blog