Skip to main content

Late Upper Twenties!

I have a friend who will be turning 29 this Friday; for as long as I've known her, she's been battling numbers. More specifically, her age. And, not so much the number but where it lies, early, middle or late. When I first met her, I remember we had this discussion about the age of 25. You're in your late twenties I'd tell her (her "middle twenties" is something that she concocted; as far as I'm concerned you're either in your early or late 20's, 30's, 40's etc!). No! She would put her foot down and tilt her chin to the air, eyes closed, arms crossed. I'm in my middle twenties!" and after 15 minutes or so, I had to give in...for that day. As the years have crept up on the both of us, the position has changed. Middle twenties, then upper middle twenties, then last year, her late lower twenties. You see where this is going!

By the time I saw 28, I was already making old man sounds whenever I got up out of low seated chairs (fellas, you know the sound, the "hu-rumph or hu-uh" sound that escapes your lips like you're trying on a childhood pair of undies) and teenagers were calling me "sir" (every now and then my head whips around like they were talking to the person behind me and then, like the great detective I am, I point a finger @ my chest and tilt my head forward inquisitively), I figured, to hell w/it, I'm 30! It's just a marker. Utterly painless. I was 29, the clock struck midnight and I was 30, no big deal.

Then again, she's a woman. Women tend to view aging a bit differently. I mean, I know men that obsess over aging, but not like women.

What a world it would be if men did...



This guy and his band rocked @ the Birchmere last night!!!

http://www.victorwooten.com/

Comments

Anonymous said…
Society forces women to obsess about aging. Young skinny women are all over the magazines and in the movies. Society as a whole is somewhat obsessed with youth. Youth and sex sells. Have we've ever seen any of the Golden Girls prancing around nude in a Calvin Klein perfume commercial? Eww, the thought. . .

Popular posts from this blog

Good Mourning

I'm not a morning person, never have been. From as far back as I can remember, I've never really been the type of person to roll over and bed, feel the sun kiss my face, hear the birds sing, wake up to the sound of an alarm clock and think, "today's the best day of my life!". I'm usually the other guy; deep in slumber, sawing logs (like all snorers, I've never had the distinguished privilege of hearing the sweet, melodic sounds of my nocturnal singing performances) I've got a my drapes closed @ all times, birdsongs are overrated (it's like they're phoning it on or something; a total lack of originality!), the alarm clock goes off. I placed it across the room on purpose; that way I'll have to get out of bed. I throw a shoe @ it. This morning was different. I rolled over and felt the sun caress my face like a lover I lost ages ago, heard the beautiful chirp chirp chirp-ing of a mother bird and her young, jumped out of bed, stretched and f