Skip to main content

You gimme fever...Olympic Fever...

My housemate has Olympic fever...and there's no cure! She's been TiVo'ing all of the NBC televised events (she hasn't TiVo'd any of the other broadcasts on MSNBC, Telemundo and Bravo; I don't think she has the time to watch 'em all), and watching them in succession. She knows the names and back stories of just about all of the American Olympians and I'd wager she knows a percentage of their opponents as well. She's too smart to fall for the dramatics of the Olympics (the music starts off slow and then builds, athletes move in slo-mo, determined looks on their faces; contorted in pain...moving to discomfort, aggression, defiance and finally, triumph. Music builds to a crescendo. Arms raised in victory; dancing, wooping and/or lunging forward, weight resting on their front knee, one arm shoots back @ the elbow in a "Ka-ching, I gotcha!" type motion), she watches for the competition and for the US of A. She watches w/baited breath when the US is behind or even when they're ahead because she knows that the race is never over until it's over. Sometimes, the US wins, sometimes they don't. And, when they don't, she's fair enough to accept the fact that on that day, that Olympic team was better than ours, and that's okay. She watches all the time, taking breaks to go to work, eat or take a nap. She watches way more than I do.

But the fever, I must admit, is contagious.

I find myself watching the Cuban Women's Olympic Volleyball team...

...in slo-mo on my TiVo...


http://www.wonkette.com/archives/washingtonienne-speaks-wonkette-exclusive-must-credit-wonkette-the-washingtonienne-interview-009693.php

Comments

Anonymous said…
Funny last lines! I bet you imagine that the team is made of Angelina Jolie and Halle Barry. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Good Mourning

I'm not a morning person, never have been. From as far back as I can remember, I've never really been the type of person to roll over and bed, feel the sun kiss my face, hear the birds sing, wake up to the sound of an alarm clock and think, "today's the best day of my life!". I'm usually the other guy; deep in slumber, sawing logs (like all snorers, I've never had the distinguished privilege of hearing the sweet, melodic sounds of my nocturnal singing performances) I've got a my drapes closed @ all times, birdsongs are overrated (it's like they're phoning it on or something; a total lack of originality!), the alarm clock goes off. I placed it across the room on purpose; that way I'll have to get out of bed. I throw a shoe @ it. This morning was different. I rolled over and felt the sun caress my face like a lover I lost ages ago, heard the beautiful chirp chirp chirp-ing of a mother bird and her young, jumped out of bed, stretched and f