Skip to main content

Jesus Rifles!

And of course, it has to be the New Testament. Awesome Trijicon, just awesome! Send our soldiers into a radicalized country with biblical verses on the rifle sights! Perfect!!!

Sent to you by tony via Google Reader:

via Think Progress by Amanda Terkel on 1/22/10

Last week, the blog Accurate Shooter reported that high-powered rifle sights provided to the U.S. military by the company Trijicon have "discreetly placed references to Bible passages." Trijicon "has a $660 million multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 sights to the Marine Corps." The military has strict rules banning the proselytizing of any religion in Iraq and Afghanistan. Air Force Maj. John Redfield, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command, initially defended Trijicon, saying, ""This situation is not unlike the situation with US currency. Are we going to stop using money because the bills have 'In God We Trust' on them? As long as the sights meet the combat needs of troops, they'll continue to be used." But Centcom commander Gen. David Petraeus took a different position on Wednesday:

"I hope you can sense…this is of serious concern to me and the other commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan because it can indeed create a perception that is absolutely contrary to what it is that we have sought to do," he said.

He said U.S. troops are much more sensitive "about this kind of thing," apparently, than is the contractor involved.

Trijicon has now said that it will stop the practice and "offered to provide modification kits to the Pentagon to enable their removal on existing optics." New Zealand, which also has sights from Trijicon, banned the "completely inappropriate" inscriptions, and Australia's Defense Minister has asked officials "to examine the options available to deal with this matter."


Things you can do from here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Mourning

I'm not a morning person, never have been. From as far back as I can remember, I've never really been the type of person to roll over and bed, feel the sun kiss my face, hear the birds sing, wake up to the sound of an alarm clock and think, "today's the best day of my life!". I'm usually the other guy; deep in slumber, sawing logs (like all snorers, I've never had the distinguished privilege of hearing the sweet, melodic sounds of my nocturnal singing performances) I've got a my drapes closed @ all times, birdsongs are overrated (it's like they're phoning it on or something; a total lack of originality!), the alarm clock goes off. I placed it across the room on purpose; that way I'll have to get out of bed. I throw a shoe @ it. This morning was different. I rolled over and felt the sun caress my face like a lover I lost ages ago, heard the beautiful chirp chirp chirp-ing of a mother bird and her young, jumped out of bed, stretched and f