Skip to main content

the cult of harry potter

So my friends did a friendly thing and bought me the first four Harry Potter books for my b-day in July. I have to say that I can see the appeal; the stories are well written, the movies can't possibly compete w/JK Rowling's literary descriptions and Harry is a character that you simply must root for. Even though I've seen the first three movies, they cannot (nor can any movie) hold a candle to the books! I was miffed @ my friends after we watched the first movie; they could've told me that Harry was "the chosen one" (I hadn't read the first book yet so I had no way of knowing. Chosen one? That'll take too long, start w/Joseph Campbell...) before the movie started.

I'm not an avid reader, but I'm trying to become one. Ultimately, I would like to kill a book a week; if every book were as well written as these, that would be an easy feat. I find myself zipping through the pages @ an alarming rate. I'll start on page 105, follow several passages, look @ the bottom of the page and find that I'm on page 150! Unfortunately, nothing worth having in life is easy. Also, I've noticed something else.

Whenever I look up from whichever book I'm reading, strangers are looking @ me w/a smile; there's an acknowledgement in their gaze and the smile is that of someone who just found out that their going to Disney World. All of 'em, the same look! Old, young, black, white, tall, short, man, woman, doesn't matter. Every time I look up, someone is watching me! I don't mind, it's just a little eerie...but not as eerie as the one's that initiate a brief conversation about which book I'm reading. I guess a friend of Harry Potter is a friend of mine...or something like that...


http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/home.asp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Mourning

I'm not a morning person, never have been. From as far back as I can remember, I've never really been the type of person to roll over and bed, feel the sun kiss my face, hear the birds sing, wake up to the sound of an alarm clock and think, "today's the best day of my life!". I'm usually the other guy; deep in slumber, sawing logs (like all snorers, I've never had the distinguished privilege of hearing the sweet, melodic sounds of my nocturnal singing performances) I've got a my drapes closed @ all times, birdsongs are overrated (it's like they're phoning it on or something; a total lack of originality!), the alarm clock goes off. I placed it across the room on purpose; that way I'll have to get out of bed. I throw a shoe @ it. This morning was different. I rolled over and felt the sun caress my face like a lover I lost ages ago, heard the beautiful chirp chirp chirp-ing of a mother bird and her young, jumped out of bed, stretched and f